Saturday, July 21, 2018

Downtown Disney District, 7/18/19

Greetings friends and neighbors,

Me and the ANB (a.k.a. Arnie Newman's Country Club) had another engagement at the Downtown Disney District, even after we were told the construction would start. I'm not sure what the holdup is but I know all of the entertainment that works on this stage is enjoying one or two more gigs from the deal.

On my way down the 57 freeway, just as I was coming up on the 91, these strange things hit my windshield. They seem harmless when there's just a few of them.


Luckily, no more of this mysteriousness occurred during the evening and everyone was able to enjoy themselves and experience safe conveyances to and from tonight's engagement. I arrived at the stage and tossed my gear up on stage. Then I rolled my carcasses around to the other side of the stage where the sound crew and John had also parked theirs. This side of the stage is a bit of a mess.


That's Zack on the left running cables and plugging in sound gear while the band finishes its setup dance.


It looks like everything is plugged in and our fearless sound crew is helping us with sound check.


Sean, the owner of MxxMaster sound, is apprenticing his young Padawan in the proper use of the Sound Force.



Right after I play my one note sound check, the lovely Ms. Amanda Kate and I do a little cheesin' together.
 
Sound check is done, I've got my cowboy shirt on, so we must be dangerously close to bringin' in da funk and bringin' in da noise.


Sean and Zack are ready to make the crowds adore us. These guys always do a great job and are a joy to work with. They go above and beyond.


This is my favorite monorail train. I think The Incredibles are da bomb!


Arnie says, "Turn up my monitor" and away we go!


Austin plays his acoustic in front of the gathering crowd.


Here's Mr. Magic Fingers Johnny playing his heart out. I'll bet he wishes he has more than two hands.


Jason plays the intro along with John with his eyes closed. Such talent!


Amanda has fun interacting with the audience all night. Blair is one of our most enthusiastic fans.


Arnie plays his Petersen Tele B-bender guitar as the shadows get longer.


While everyone plays the intro I sneak out front a little to try and capture all of the talent.


The crowds start to get a little bigger and stay a little longer as the sun goes down.


Austin plays the acoustic intro to "Pour Me", a Trick Pony song that we cover.


Arnie says, "How about the lovely Amanda Kate!" She really killed it tonight.


Austin sings one of his crowd-pleasing musical numbers.


On a break Amanda signs autographs for her adoring fans.


We finished the last song just a little too soon. The fireworks hadn't started yet. So we had to play a couple minutes worth of "Sweet Home Alabama". Yes, they still love that tune. Then the fireworks start and saves us from further exposure.


Everyone makes their way off stage as quickly as possible. All except John have to be at work in the morning.


This is the view as I leave the employee lot, the "Simba" lot. You see a couple of the larger rides over at Disney California Adventure.


We finished at 9:30pm. I had my gear loaded into my trusty Astro van and we were driving out of the lot at 10:06pm. I think that's some kind of record. I'm not sure if we'll be back on this stage before construction finally starts on the new hotel. But if so, I'll let you know. 
(UPDATE: The construction has been delayed further through the end of August. It seems we'll be back one or two more times before the constructions starts.)

Tomorrow night, Friday 7/20/18, we'll be back out at the Buckle and Boots in Lancaster. I'm hoping for another fun-filled evening with good food and good beer. See you then!


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff 

No comments:

Post a Comment