Saturday, May 12, 2018

Coto De Caza, 5/5/18

Hello friends and neighbors!

My Cinco de Mayo was full of hard work, good food, and loud music. And cake.

I left my house with my trusty Astro van fully loaded, my "large rig" (since we were outside), a couple basses, and my full PA system. Then I had to stop by John's house to pick up a couple more powered monitors.


I headed down to the south OC through what is known as "the merge", where the 57 and 60 freeways are one big freeway as they pass through the Diamond Bar area. 


The traffic wasn't too bad today. Despite some road construction near our destination I arrived just about when I had planned, way before call time, because we are setting up and running our own sound. There was plenty of traffic trying to get into this exclusive gated community. 



Arnie and I arrived at exactly the same time. Our client owns that 17,000 sq. ft. house. 


We got to back in pretty close to the stage. The client rented a nice stage for us and placed it on the car port in front of his 20 car garage. 


There were three large bounce houses for the kids today plus all kinds of games and crafts in the garage. Our clients were celebrating birthdays for their four year old son and six year old daughter. But they threw a party for all the adults too. 


This was our green room, a living room/bedroom area inside the garage.
 

The carpeted garage would be full of kids playing games and making crafts. The large screen had a video racing game. 


An interesting trinket for the kids.


They had enough adult beverages for a weekend at The Ranch. This was just part of their stock.








 Here's a view of the party area from the other side of the fountain.


I got an award today for "The World's Okay-est Bass Player".


Amanda said she really appreciated the "Beyonce fan" for her at the front of the stage. 


John is out front mixing our sound today. He brought his digital mixer, Arnie brought four powered mains and a powered sub, I brought my large mains and power amp, John and Arnie brought powered monitors. It was quite impressive. 


Here's John as a sound man. He doubles as a keyboard player too. 


Amanda joins me in a selfie while we sound check. 


Our scheduled time was 4pm to 8pm. Arnie and I arrived at 12:30 to start setting up the PA. John arrived shortly after that. It was a good thing we got there so early. Since it was the first time we used this system it took a while to get everything sorted. We were ready and started right on time.

Randy is on this gig. He just sits there, smiles, and wails!


We had to move a couple of umbrellas up on the stage not only for shade but to keep John's tablet cool enough to mix on the fly. It was a warm day.


The rigs of Jason the drummer and the bass player.


The rigs of Arnie and Randy. Those guys were loud today.



Our lovely servers, Gloria, Savana, and Alexa. They took good care of us. Thank you ladies!


Then it's time for the show! Arnie asks, "Are you singing this one?" Amanda says, "I thought you were singing it!"


OK, let's both sing it.


I see that "Beyonce fan" doing its thing. Great hair, Amanda!


Jason has to wear a cowboy hat from now on. He's just too handsome.


John did a great job today playing keyboards while mixing the band.


Randy, Arnie, and Amanda put on a pretty good show.


As the afternoon progressed more and more families showed up. It was a great kid-friendly atmosphere with stuff for the adults too.


John and Jason play the intro to something that I don't have to play. That's why I can snap a picture.


Yes, we're all having fun!


Now we're having even more fun!


It was warm today. The guests tend to stay in the shade.


I think we're going to sing one or two more and then go have some supper.


Set lists and monitors.


It's break time. Now we'll have some eats.On the break the band hits the chow line. There was a buffet and a taco cart with all the fixin's.




I was really hungry and couldn't fit it all on one plate. I had a chicken taco, pork taco, beef taco, along with a bacon wrapped hot dog, a tamale, and a pulled pork slider. I was stuffed. 


Then it was back to work. The guests were still arriving. I was told there were about 300 people here after all was said and done. 



The little kids just loved Amanda. Who doesn't?


Jason still looks good in his hat. Arnie said that's going to be part of his uniform from now on. 


I think we are getting ready to sing Happy Birthday. 


And now it's time for Amanda to get the line dancing started.  


Here's a view from near the front of the house. The party's really hopping. 


Hey Arnie! You're too big for the bounce houses! OK, at least take your boots off. 


After the kids cut the cake I hit the dessert table. 


It looks like that chocolate cake was destroyed. I cut me a slice anyway. It was great. 


Then we were back on stage for one more set. 


It was late in the evening. I guess I'd had a couple too many. 


We started playing the dance music. If you play it they will come. 




It was really a great party. We stopped playing at 8pm. All the little ones had to take their parents home. We started our stage striking dance. 


With all the gear and all the vehicles, it was 9:45 by the time I got all my stuff loaded. I just wheeled my stuff around back of the garage. Everyone else tried to pull around front. This was just easier for me. 


I made it home by 11:30. I like that much better than 3am. Us old guys need to get our beauty sleep.

Next week me and the ANB have a couple of club dates, Wednesday night at Stillwater in Dana Point and Friday night at Old Crow Smokehouse in Huntington Beach. They are a couple of neat little bar/restaurant gigs that are fun to play. I'll let you know how they go. Thanks for stopping by.


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff 

No comments:

Post a Comment