Thursday, February 13, 2020

Downtown Disney, 2/5/20

Hello Mouseketeers!

It seems like we were just here at the Happiest Place On Earth just a couple weeks ago. Before I launch into my gig report I wanted to share some geeky fun stuff with you. It's been about ten years since I build my last computer, it was still running Windows 7, plus I couldn't play the latest Star Wars game I got last Christmas because my hardware is too old. Here's my new churnin' urn of cybernated funk, a hefty hunk of multi-core junk, ready to put in my old case.



You see an AMD Ryzen 3700X CPU (unlocked), 16GB Steel Viper DDR4 4400 RAM, XFX Radeon RX590 "Fatboy" (overclocked from the manufacturer), on a Gigabyte X570 Gaming X motherboard. The heat pipe coolers on the CPU and video card are stock these days. Cool! Joining this hardware in the case will be a 1TB WD SSD, a 550w Antec Gold power supply, and it all will be feeding two new 24" Acer monitors with 4ms response time. It's gonna be a real pixel pusher!

Anyway, I always pass this gas station on the way to DTD. It usually has the cheapest gas prices in the area. Most places are $3.50 or $3.60, more than a dollar above the rest of the country it seems. Ack! 


I met John in the parking lot so I could help him load in his equipment. John is not able to lift anything over five pound for the nest six weeks or so after his surgery. 


At this time of year we are loading in right at sunset then we do a quick sound check in the dark just before down beat at 6pm.


I played my new Kiesel PB5 all night. I'm really starting to enjoy it. 


We are seconds away from downbeat. The talent joins me in a picture we call "Beauty and The Beast and The Bass Player". 


A lot of the crowd strolls by. Some stick around for a few songs. 


Here are some pictures of the stage while we're on a break. Jed and Seth were running sound tonight with our friend Rob lending a hand. After the first few tunes out front to check on things Jed joined us on stage. 


I went amp-less tonight. I figured since I'm loading my stuff and John's stuff it would be a little easier to leave some of my gear at home. You also see Jed's acoustic and Kemper unit. 


Here's the gear on the other side of the stage. Arnie wasn't thrilled with that Fender amp this evening. He likes his Little Walter better. Jason brought Breakbeats kit. It sounds harsh. I like the kit he won at the NAMM show better, a WTS kit. It sounded much more full, mellow, musical. 


Johnny Magic Fingers tears up the boogie-woogie. He did well tonight but had to sit down for all the breaks. 


It's a cool evening, in the low 50s, but folks are enjoying themselves. 


Arnie strums the Tele while he and Amanda sing the intro to Aaron Watson's "Freight Train". 


Jason sings on the intro too.


Jed's wife, Claire, joined us tonight because we were running the Carrie Underwood tunes for our show on Saturday. Claire sings a lot of those harmony parts that would normally sing in my unimpressive falsetto. 


John keeps his hands warm while Arnie plays another intro. 


We ended up having a pretty good crowd as the evening went along. 


We played up until 9:40pm. There were no fireworks tonight. Awww. I loaded up John's cart and my cart and dragged them both out to the parking lot. This will pretty much be my duty until John gets healed up. 


When I got home I rewarded myself with an excellent beer I found at my local shop. This is the Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. It's a great sipping beer that has multiple good flavors as it warms. Drink it from a small glass, preferrably a snifter. 


Tomorrow night we are at The Cave in Big Bear for a Blown Away (Carrie Underwood) tribute show. Next weekend we are at The Ranch. The following weekend we'll be in Las Vegas at Gilley's Saloon. Then it looks like we'll be off the last week of February. That's OK. It will give me time to trim a tree in my back yard. Thanks for looking! Take care.


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff 

No comments:

Post a Comment