Thursday, February 13, 2020

Downtown Disney, 1/22/20

Greetings Mouseketeers,

I apologize, I'm almost caught up with my little gig reports. On a recent Wednesday we played at Downtown Disney (DTD), outside the park at the Disneyland Resort (DLR). The Country Club Band was just a bunch of hairy legged pickers. There was no Amanda. :(

I'm fortunate to be able to leave work a couple hours early in order to make the 6pm downbeat. This is the view from my parking spot. Construction on the parking structure by the new stadium is coming along. I can't believe that the PE department wants to move in at the end of the week. People around here always want to move into a new building before construction is done. It's been that way for all of the over 34 years I've been here.


I was able to park pretty close in the employee lot. In the "winter" here the park is not quite as busy. At this point I'm about 200 yards from the stage.


I'm usually the last to arrive for this gig but we've got the routine down. I toss my gear on stage and stow my cases behind. Jed's son Seth is helping with the sound gear this evening. He's turning into a real asset for Arnie's Country Club Events Entertainment production company.


Here's your sign. That's Seth at the front of the stage with "the" tablet.


Arnie had borrowed one of my rigs for a photoshooot of his company gear (backline rentals, studio equipment, etc) and so brought it back for this gig. Seth was kind enough to place it for me. I would have to haul it home but, hey, half my work was done so I won't complain. I'd forgotten how nice my old GK 800RB sounded.


Because of the chilly, threatening weather I left my new bass at home and went with my usual LB76 and the JBS for backup. Here's Seth tweaking a bit at sound check. It's still getting dark pretty early.


Johnny Magic Fingers gets his monitors dialed in on his tablet.


Bam Bam actually won this kit at the NAMM show. It's pretty slick because it takes only a single key to tune the drum. There's a cable connected to pulleys on the heads and twisting the bass guitar sized key will change the pitch equally all around the head. No need for a drum key. It's a Welch Tuning Systems kit. They sound pretty good, mellow, and not harsh like Jason usually tunes his drums.


Arnie points at his bass player and says, "Are you ready to country-rock?"


Arnie stomps his pedal and kicks it off. Yee haw!


We had OK crowds throughout the night, mostly the stroll-by crowd, but many would hang out for a while and dance or clap or heckle or request John Prine or Spice Girls. All in good fun.


Yes, Arnie and I are wearing the same shirt. His is gold and mine is grey. Johnny had borrowed one of my shirts, the same as Jason's but black instead of blue. We like the Scully shirts in the cooler weather.


Here's Jason's new kit in action, keeping time during the intro. It's a nice looking kit.


Not a good picture of Jed. Sorry. He did not wear a Scully.


This is just a breaktime picture of the stage. Most of the Christmas decorations are gone.


I think we're getting tuned up for the last set. We play four forty minutes sets between 6pm and 9:40.


This is Arnie's new logo for his company. He had a stencil painting party, which I missed.


There were no fireworks tonight to signal the end of our gig. That's OK. We quit anyway. I loaded up my handy dandy Rock-n-Roller cart and left the heavy lifting to Seth. It was a pretty fun night, lots of old school country which the crowd got into.


I was home before 11pm but I think the weather had irritated my longstanding cough/cold symptoms. I would be in bed for the next five days, missing our weekend at The Ranch and three days of work on the day job. I'm feeling much better now after seeing the doctor and taking massive amounts of amoxicillin. Thankfully we have no gigs this coming week and will begin our February schedule on the 5th back at DTD followed by a Carrie Underwood tribute show at The Cave in Big Bear, another weekend at The Ranch, then we're back at Gilley's in Las Vegas for the 20th thru 22nd. Thanks for putting up with me. Be sure to wash your hands after reading this gig blog post so you don't get sick.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

No comments:

Post a Comment