Thursday, January 10, 2019

The Ranch, New Year's Eve 2018

Greetings party goers and party poopers,

I hope everyone made it home safely after all the celebration last night. Since this was my first time playing at The Ranch for New Year's Eve I did all the proper preparation. Since I had broken a string on my bass the Saturday night before and replaced on the D string on the break to finish the night, I replaced the rest before the gig and gave my Carvin LB76 a bit of a tune-up as these strings were just slightly thicker than the set that was replaced.

The truss rod adjustment calls for 0.015" of clearance between the 7th fret and a straight edge set between the 1st and 24th fret. I got it right on the money. The factory says anything between .010" and .020" is acceptable but .015" is optimal.


Then on to the bridge adjustments. I adjusted the saddle height so that the strings heights were all just shy of 3/32" above the 24th fret. I also adjusted the intonation at the 12th fret. The fatter B string made me pull the saddle back quite a bit. I also checked the pickup spacing.


Afterwards it was like a new bass, zing in the strings and it felt great. It sounded marvelous that night. Oh, I also had to sew on two buttons for my tux jacket. We decided to dress up a bit.


I dressed like I was getting a CMA award, a tux jacket, Wrangler jeans, and boots. I was told that I clean up pretty good.


Then I hopped in my trusty Astro van, with fresh tires, brakes, and shocks, to head down the old familiar trail into the OC.


I arrived before doors and the staff was frantically getting the room together for a party, decorations, table settings, finger foods, even a confetti cannon on stage.


Every table was reserved. It was going to be a fun night.


I set my Carvin on stage and tuned her up again.


The room is ready. It's time to open the doors and let the festivities begin. Both bars were lined with a terrific selection of hors d'oeuvres.


We all helped ourselves to some snacks. I hadn't eaten all day. Shrimp, fish, cold cuts, veggies, cheeses, seared ahi tuna, even oysters on the half shell were served.


Oh great! The buffet will be open soon with prime rib, turkey, lamb chops, salads, and more.




It looks like the guests are enjoying their repast. Perhaps the band will too.


It was a special night so all the band wives joined us in the green room for supper.


I enjoyed a nice plate with Caesar Salad, a lamb chop, prime rib, turkey, veggies, anand sea bass.


I think Amanda and I have a stalker just as we start our show.


These folks are here to party. Arnie leads the charge with his '51 Tele.


The room is crowded but not uncomfortable. There were a lot of regulars and a lot of first timers to The Ranch.


Jason lays it down and pounds out the party beats.


Amanda sings one of her sassy party girl songs.


As we continue, I am continually amazed, as is the audience, by Amanda's stage presence. She's just as down-home, girl-next-door cute as can be but really belts it out. Plus she wore my favorite boots again.


John looked dapper this evening.


 Our entertainment manager, Heather, was looking great in her gold sequins dress.


The dance crowd is really enjoying themselves as we begin another set.


It's nearing midnight so Heather prepared bubbly for the band on stage. This is the one time of year that we can drink anything other than water on stage.


Here's a social media fan shot of the band in action.


At the countdown all the band wives join us on stage for a sip of champagne, a kiss, and to sing Auld Lang Syne.


A special treat, the owner Andrew, joins us on stage to sing "You Shook Me All Night Long". He loves to scream it out once a year. It was a crackup and a ton of fun. He doesn't take himself too seriously.


I think Arnie is really enjoying this moment. It's cool to see the boss cut loose.


Johnny Magic Fingers is amazed at the spectacle.


Andrew and Amanda are really rocking out now!


We rocked the room hard the rest of the night. The crowd let us know they were having fun.


Johnny does the New Years Eve version of his big boogie woogie piano hit.


These ladies were sharing their fun. I think they liked my Neil Diamond song. They knew all the words.


This was the confetti cannon that made all the mess.


I guess the confetti was a hazard so we took a little breather to let the crew clean up a bit.


Then the DJ finished the night for us.


Arnie and I had a beer to celebrate at the end of the night. I said Happy New Year to Dr. Melanie.


Mrs. Arnie joins us at the bar for a commemorative picture and to raise a glass.


Even though I didn't have much to pack up it still took me over an hour to leave. We were all having fun reminiscing and making plans with the band, the sound man, the owner, etc. You just didn't want the party to end, you know?


I had one more day off then it was back to my regular life. It was a good holiday season. I hope you all enjoyed your too. Wishing you all a Happy New Year filled with lots of good gigs, good music, good company, and good health.


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
 

No comments:

Post a Comment