Thursday, January 10, 2019

The Ranch, 12/28-29/18

Hello my friends,

Me and the ANB have begun another weekend at The Ranch. We'll also be playing there on Monday evening for NYE.


Since I have literally nothing to set up except a couple of guitar stands, I got there a little after doors. The Ranch Saloon is on the ground floor of the Extron HQ building in Anaheim.


We all meet up in the green room to have supper courtesy of The Ranch.


Tonight I enjoyed my favorite on the band menu, the Buffalo Chicken Sandwich.


My two most gigged basses next to Arnie's rig. I walked on stage, put my basses on their stands, and plugged into the DI box. What a tough setup.


The DJ is finishing up the last line dance before we start our set. The crowd is light tonight, I suppose in anticipation of the big NYE party. But they are having fun.


Jason counts us off and gets into the fun.


The hands of Johnny Magic Fingers are just a blur as he tickles the ivories.


Amanda sings one of her sassy girl songs. Daniel is with us this weekend, joining Arnie and Randy on that side of the stage.


Arnie rocks out on "You Shook Me All Night Long". We play a couple of "freestyle" dances at the end of every set for those who don't know how to dance country.


Amanda does a great job singing the AC/DC song.


It's a long intro before I come in on this song so here's another picture just because.


The line dancers have their turn on the floor again.


Heather, our lovely Entertainment Manager, says goodnight before she leaves for the evening. She takes good care of us.


We finished up Saturday night and had a ton of fun doing it. It was busier tonight than Friday but still not a normal Saturday night because it is so close to New Years Eve. Many of the regulars I talked to said they would be back for NYE. It's gonna be a party! But I'm getting ahead of myself. This Saturday evening started with a nice sunset drive down to the OC.


I was the first to arrive this evening so I helped myself to a nice, fresh, hot carafe of coffee. Arnie and I both brought practice amps this weekend so we could run some tunes in the green room. That's my Fender Sidekick 15. It's not really a bass amp but it does OK in a pinch. Arnie's Tascam also has a CD player and inputs for music players like phones and stuff.


Tonight I enjoyed a Steakburger and a chopped kale salad for supper.


It's a pretty good crowd tonight as we take the stage, just not the normal capacity crowd.


The lovely Amanda Kate just gushes talent all over the stage.


I like her fringe jacket. Arnie wails on his guitar.


Jason should be happy. He's not behind a cage. Actually, he's not feeling well so he's not singing much tonight, mostly backup harmonies only.


Johnny Magic Fingers is also a bit under the weather but it doesn't slow him down.


I don't remember what's going on here but it must be a long intro without bass, so I take a picture.


I complimented Amanda on her boots. They really are cute boots. Arnie plays the guitar parts while I admire Amanda's boots.


While Randy enjoys a refreshing beverage, Amanda and Arnie get down with their jiggy selves.


Daniel seems to be enjoying the show. We'll give him a solo later so he doesn't get bored.


Can you imagine that? In the middle of the second set, in the middle of the song "Country Girl Shake", I broke a string!


I had to get creative with the outro lick at the end of that song and went way up the fretboard on the A string. (Arnie told me there's no money up there.) Then I grabbed my Fender JBS and kept on going. I even had a chance to use my HipShot drop tuner peg on "Here For The Party" because it's in the key of D and needs that low D. I'd never played any of those songs in the last half of the second set on my four string and I hadn't used the HipShot in years so I was having to think quickly on my feet. I got through the set and put on a new string on the break. I keep an extra set of strings in the case. I'll change the rest before the NYE gig. I'll start the year with a fresh set of strings. This set is at least two years old, maybe three. I don't remember.

OK, we're back for the next set. I guess Amanda got warm. She took off her fringe leather jacket.
 

On the break I head to the bar to wet my whistle. DJ Leo keeps the crowd on the dance floor.


Then we're back at it. Amanda has cooled off and put her jacket back on.


OK, we're really having fun now! See Jason twirling his sticks. Woo hoo! 


We did a "power 30" for our last set. The management decided they wanted to take off early so we cut our last set fifteen minutes short..


DJ Leo finished the night for us


But don't worry, my friends. We'll be back here on Monday night to bring in the New Year. We even left all of our gear set up. But I had to bring my Carvin LB76 home so I could change the rest of the strings and check the setup.

I pray the New Year brings all of you the best that life has to offer, blessings of love, hope, peace, and joy.


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

No comments:

Post a Comment