Monday, June 4, 2018

Old Crow Smokehouse, 5/24/18

Hello party people!

Me and the ANB were back at The Old Crow Smokehouse in Huntington Beach for another loud and raucous engagement just two weeks after our last appearance here. Rather than bore you with the usual traffic on the freeway during my commute, here's a picture right around the corner from where I work as I head for the freeway. The "May gray" had cleared and it was a pleasant Southern California afternoon in a nice part of town.


When I pulled into the parking structure below the location I got lucky and parked near the elevator. I was stoked! But then I realized I might not fit my cart full of gear in between the cars and would have to schlep all the way around the isle anyway. Luckily, there was just enough space. Catastrophe averted. 


As I roll into the Old Crow, here's a picture of my gear with the waves crashing on the beach in the background. You could see Catalina Island today. 


Here's a setup picture. Arnie and Jason were already here and mostly set up. John arrived shortly after I did so I took my cart downstairs to help with his gear. He always brings at least two cart loads of gear to the gigs, even when he leaves half of his keyboards at home. 


Now that we're all set up, Jason and Arnie await their supper.


Hey! Look who's serving us tonight! It's Kaylee. We met her on her first night here a couple months ago. It's good to see her again. She gives us service with a smile. 


Supper was really good, good enough to show you two pictures. Jason ordered the combo plate. He loves meat!


I felt like having the sausages again. They are really good here. 


As I head back to the garage to use my trusty Astro van for a dressing room I take in the sunset at the beach. I've been to Catalina Island a couple of times. Be sure to take your Dramamine. 


Another typical picture of the ADA lift used as a storage room. We're not the only ones. The staff here uses it too. I guess it's not a violation unless someone in a wheelchair has to get up on the stage. 


We have a quick sound check, more like a line check. I like that this place let's Arnie put the band logo up on the screens around the joint. 


The restaurant is pretty full, lots of birthdays and graduations parties tonight. 


A selfie in front of the band logo on the big screen. 


Here's our lovely bar manager, Brandi. She was very sparkly tonight for the holiday weekend. 


I guess we're just about to start. Here's a selfie in front of the crowd. 


I step off stage for a second to take a picture of the lads. 


Then I gave my camera to Andre, our sound guy, to take a picture of the lads and the bass player. 


My monitor, my beer, and my set list. 


A closer look at the first set. We play two long sets here. 


A view of the bar from my mic. It was a good crowd tonight. 


At one point Brandi, the manager, and her friends were line dancing.


John plays his big boogie-woogie number, "Mama Screw Your Wig On Tight". It's a Lee Roy Parnell instrumental.  


Me and the keyboard player. 


The older gentleman there in the hat was dancing with all the young ladies all night long. He knows how to have fun. 


Jason sings while Arnie adjusts his "small" Little Walter amp.


The old guy is tearing up the dance floor while all the ladies look on. 


More line dancing! Yay!


Arnie croons some Merle, Alan, Dwight, or other such classic country. 


Jason enjoys a refreshing beverage between songs. 


Toward the end of the night our audience is really enjoying themselves. 


It was another loud, fun evening at the Old Crow. A couple of Patsy (a rye coconut stout) brews made the evening even more enjoyable.

I'm just about to head out for a private party with Arnie and the gang. It's a birthday/graduation party for a friend who loves the band. Wayne even asked me what kind of liquor I liked so he would make sure and have some on hand. What a guy. I'll have to take it easy though because it's a long drive.

I hope you all enjoy your Memorial holiday weekend. Thank you to all the service members and their families who have sacrificed so much so that we can enjoy our freedoms.

american-flag-small.


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff 

No comments:

Post a Comment