Thursday, May 11, 2017

La Habra Citurs Fair 5/6/17

Hey gang,

Me and the KRB played for the La Habra Citrus Fair. It was basically a street fair.


It was supposed to be the first of our summer outdoor concerts. But it turned cold and rainy this weekend.


It was 95ยบ yesterday. Now it's in the 50s and raining. The city had La Habra Blvd. blocked off for the fair but I knew the secret way in.


I got there early enough that I got to park only three spaces away from the stage area. Those white tents were our green room and storage areas.


When I arrived there was a local troupe of singers from the community theater doing show tunes to canned music. They were pretty good.

 These two young ladies did a few selections from "Wicked". They were cute.


This is Chris and Ross from Ross Creations, our sound company for today. We've worked with Ross on several occasions. He's a good guy.


While I was hanging at the sound booth, another band showed up with pretty much all their gear in one pickup truck.


At first I was a little confused because I was unaware there was a band on before us. This is the band, called Hard Tack.


They played your basic classic rock; "Roadhouse Blues", "Gimme Three Steps", "Cocaine", "Mary Jane", etc. I liked the guy's 5 string Jazz bass.

The rest of the KRB assembled behind the stage as Hard Tack played "Watchtower".


That's Hal on keys tonight. The rain held off while we were setting up and performing. It was still pretty cool and breezy.


The stage is all set.


Here's my amp-selfie just before we start our second set.


The sound under the tent was pretty rough to work with. All the sound got reflected right down on us and the stage volume was a bit too loud for me. I don't like singing really hard just to hear myself but we muddled through. Here's Daniel doing his big hit, "Devil Went Down To Georgia".


Kelly brought her husband, Jack, and their two girls to perform a few new songs from their Songs About Dogs project they did out at Stagecoach last weekend. The new songs that Jack wrote are pretty dang good.


Here's a fun action shot taken by Laura, a friend of Kelly's. You remember Laura, don't you?


Kelly says this is the look she gives her kids when they are misbehaving. I got my bass face on.


We finish up at 10pm, just as it starts raining. We line up our gear at the back of the stage while the guys pull their cars around.


It was a fun night but the weather kept the big crowds away. We never had more than 30 or 40 people sitting and listening. The folks in the beer garden next door loved us. A small crowd would gather outside the tent but they wouldn't come in to listen. We even had a few dancers.

Tomorrow we'll be playing another city event, The Ride and Stride in Downey, early afternoon from 1:00 to 2:30pm. We'll play one 90 minute set and be done. It's too bad I don't have another gig Sunday night. I don't play as many doubles as I used to. I'm not as young as I used to be. <wink>


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

No comments:

Post a Comment