Wednesday, November 2, 2016

The Quartet at Schools First, Tustin 10/7/16

Hi,

I'm posting a bunch of gigs together today trying to get caught up. This gig was two weeks after my previous gig. But thanks to the miracle of the internet you don't have to wait that long for me to bore you with it.

Friday afternoon we played a corporate event for the Schools First Credit Union in Tustin. They had won the "best bank" award from the Orange County Register. They threw themselves a little party to celebrate.

I had to fight the normal, horrid, morning rush hour traffic to load in at 9:00am. I'm glad I don't do this every day.


This is the front of the place, all business. The party was out back. I guess it was kind of like the "mullet" haircut back in the day.


The facilities crew are setting up shade for us while Skyler sets up the PA.


Our stage was actually a small portable dance floor. It was just enough room for the quartet.


From the parking lot you can see the nice lawn and the hay bales brought in for the occasion. Most of the attendees sat in the tables and chairs off to the side of the stage.


I didn't need a lot of volume today so I brought my 210 rig.


Our buddy Hal was on keys today. He also brought his Alesis drum machine. I've gotten quite used to playing with drum machines and click tracks. Maybe it's helping my timing.


Here's a shot from my mic. On our first break we had lunch. You see Daniel making a beeline for the BBQ.


Dickey's BBQ served up beef brisket, chicken, mac'n'cheese, beans, salad, and, you guessed it, cookies for dessert.


This is more than I usually eat for lunch, but it was pretty terrific.'


We played three sets as the employees ate BBQ and enjoyed the fresh air and sunshine. It was not too terribly hot that day.


There were a few of these banners around to remind everyone how great they are.


Here's a glam shot of the quartet.


After our three sets it was time to earn our money. I also helped Skyler with the PA. I think it's a bass player thing.


I got back on the freeway headed home just in time to catch the afternoon rush hour traffic. It usually starts about 3:00pm.


But I'm not going to complain too much. My day job is flexible enough I could take a day off to play my gig. It's like I got paid twice today.

Tomorrow we're playing the Pumpkin Festival at Cal Poly Pomona. They usually have 10,000 people a day through there. I have a feeling it's going to be a madhouse of fun and frivolity, pumpkins and kids everywhere.

Thanks for letting me share my gigs.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff



No comments:

Post a Comment