Monday, October 19, 2015

SCFCA Chili Cook-Off at Daltile, 10/15/15

Greetings!

This is at least the third time we've played this annual event. It's a fun little party. The Anaheim location of Daltile hosts a chili cook-off for the Southern California Floor Covering Association. It's not fancy but it's fun.

It's a parking lot gig. The stage is not covered but we don't start until the sun is fairly low in the sky so it's not unbearable. You can see I was the last to arrive. The band, staff, chili contestants, etc, are all getting set up at the same time. It was kind of a cluster. But the hosts and attendees are friendly and everyone had a great time.


The company rents a stage that is just big enough for us.


I get to park my Rock-n-Roller cart behind the stage with all the rest of the cool kids. 


Here's a view of the event from inside the warehouse loading dock.


Kelly's cousin, Skyler, is helping Jack with the sound and doing the DJ for us today.


Eh? What's that, Mario? What sun?


Jack and Kelly's girls do a little sound check/rehearsal. They've got a pretty catchy reggae song on their CD and Jack plays a nice bass line.




Here's my amp-selfie just before we start. (Who needs a hair cut?)


Jack took my camera a grabbed a shot of the band. 


Here's on from stage right.


One more from stage left.


Jack caught me looking at the set list. What are we playing next? What are we playing right now?


Art smiles big while Kelly belts out one of her big hits.


I think I'm the only one who knows that I'm taking a picture right now. Timers on cameras are handy!




Here's the good stuff! We take a break and help our selves to some BBQ beef sliders and a cold one.


Later on, I sample the chili and have to settle for whatever beer is left.
 

It was a good crowd. They ate, they drank, they danced, they socialized. It was a pleasant evening. This picture looks over the DJ/sound booth. Skyler uses his computer to play his tunes.


Jack brought more lights this year. The stage was fairly well lit. 


This guy made some pretty good chili. I hope I don't look like that later.




Here's one of the chili contestants. This was my favorite chili but it didn't win any awards tonight.


After I stuff myself with BBQ beef, chili, and beer, we're back. The girls perform a couple of songs while I take pictures.
 

Jack is not really a country player. He's more of a classic rock guy. But I think Kelly enjoys having her whole family on stage.


I just never can tell with these two. It seems Art and Daniel are always trying to figure something out.


Mario is ready when I take his picture.


Here's a picture of me taking a picture of Mario.


Kelly's friend, Laura, and her husband David have worked for Daltile for a long time. They're the main reason we play this gig.




There's a pause in the action while prizes are raffled and trophies are awarded for the chili.


Daniel wows the crowd with none other than "Devil Went Down To Georgia".


Kelly entertains the dancers.


Here's another artsy-fartsy b/w photo from Mario's phone, a drummer's view.
 

We get the high sign and bust into our encore number, "Don't Stop Believing". Jeff hammers out the intro.


 Kelly shreds Steve Perry.


Art and Daniel rock their guitars.


We are done at 9:00 PM. Skyler and Jack get to work tearing down the PA. The band is happy to get home early.


The next gig for the KRB will be at the Calabasas Pumpkin Festival on 10/17/15 from 2-4pm. It's a pretty long drive but at least it will be hot. It's still in the 90s here in So Cal. Com'on fall!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

No comments:

Post a Comment