Thursday, July 2, 2015

Swallows Inn 6/27/15

Here are more pictures from my weekend. This was my Saturday night gig. I've been looking forward to this one for over a month. I love this little dive bar in South Orange County and I love working with my old friend Jesse and his daughter in their band, Rodeo Revival.

I got off the freeway one exit early so that I could snap a picture of the San Juan Capistrano Mission as I drove by.



The bar is just a block south from the historic mission. This is the front door of the place.



The load in is actually pretty easy as this door leads right on to the stage. But the parking is a nightmare. I got lucky and was able to park right at the corner at the end of the block and roll my stuff in.



The early band stopped at 6:30pm and our downbeat was scheduled for 8:30pm. The other band was very considerate, stopped on time, and got their gear off without much delay. I made sure to thank all of them.

This is the interior. As you can see, over the years the patrons have pretty much decorated the place themselves, hanging their own pictures, signs, articles of clothing, animal parts, etc. Jesse and I are enjoying the atmosphere.



This is Jesse's PA head. He's also got decent QSC tops and subs.



I schlep my gear in. You can see where all the bands like to leave mementos and notes on the wall. I know most of those guys.



Jesse gives me a wave while he plugs in his PA.



Hey! Look who's here! Jesse also needed a drummer tonight so Mario was able to make the gig. Yes, both Mario and I were cheating on Kelly tonight.



This is the dance floor as we are setting up. Don't worry, the crowd will be here later.



After I get set up I need to hit the head. To go along with the rest of the atmosphere in this place, above the trough in the mensroom you'll see a collage of scantily clad women doing what scantily clad women do.




I've heard that there's much the same thing in the ladies room, but I've never seen it.

Justin arrives and sets up his gear. I asked him about his rig. He loves that little solid state amp and one of the speakers in that cabinet he purchased from Albert Lee, from a Craigslist ad. He said Albert was just the coolest guy.



Jesse's beautiful daughter, Chelsea, joins us on stage and humors me with an amp-selfie.



Chad is on keys again. I met Chad working at Disneyland where he does sound reinforcement and stage crew duties.



OK! It looks like these two are ready to have some fun!



Justin is wailing!



Chelsea is having her fun on stage. It's a pleasure to see her growing up. I was working with her dad, Jesse, before she was born.



The folks really have a good time in this old honky-tonk.


It's a real mixed crowd, bikers, hippies, cowboys, yuppies, beach bums, and even a wedding party showed up tonight. Everybody just had a good time.

Mario was having a good time. I think it's been a while since he's played a good ol' dive bar.



The partying continues!

I think most of you may know these girls. They are at every dive bar. They always tend to get a little too happy and become best friends with the band. I told them, "Hey, look this way."



She said, "Wait! I wasn't ready!" OK, let's take another.



There, that's better. Even Chelsea photobombed us.

Here are some action shots that Jesse took with his phone.

Justin and Mario.



Chelsea and some bass player.



Justin gives us a big smile. You know he's enjoying himself.



Jesse gives us an over-the-head shot of Chad.



I think that bass player is having fun.



Yep, that bass player is still having fun. Chelsea entertains the crowd.



Chad is really an excellent keyboard player, very accomplished.



 Why not? Here's one more of Chelsea and I, just because I'm so cute.



We leave the stage door open because it's so dang hot in this place, even though we are only a block or so from the beach.




This post by the back door is like a time capsule. I think one of those stickers is covering up a note I put there in 1993.



At 1:30am, after four 1-hour sets it's time to get outta town. I get to pull my Astro van up front since the street is clear now.



I went back inside to do my "idiot check" and see that the staff is wasting no time in getting outta here too.



Justin, Jesse, and I take a quick picture before we get picked up for street walking. We talk about our gig next Saturday, a 4th of July show in Barstow. Sure, it might be a long drive but at least the pay is lousy.



And this is how I keep my "honky-tonk cred". It's not all glitz and glamour for me all the time. I can pretty much have my fun anywhere. Thanks for looking!


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

No comments:

Post a Comment