Monday, April 20, 2015

The Ranch - April 17-18, 2015


We had an epic weekend at our favorite night club, The Ranch in Anaheim. It's a regular monthly gig for us and we love working here. Everyone treats us like rock stars, from the owner to the management to the staff, everyone is very helpful, friendly, and professional. 

Friday evening I arrived a little late to sound check but we really didn't need much since everything is dialed in already. We just ran a couple of numbers to refresh our memories.

That's Brian and Mark in the FOH booth. Mark is the sound engineer. Brian is the design engineer who helps maintain all the gear in the building, not just this room.

That's Natasha at the booth with them. She takes care of the band, making sure our guest list is accurate, the fridge in the green room is well-stocked, food orders are placed, etc. She's great to work with and treats us like real people, not musicians.

The is the view at the FOH console. Mark calls it "the bridge". He's a big Star Trek fan, as am I. I believe the term is "Trekker".

A shot across the stage as we set up and sound check. I think Jeff needs more caffeine.


This is stage right, where Art and Daniel live, in front of the monitor room. You see the speaker array too, all Meyer gear.

Here's my arsenal for the weekend. I guess the Ampeg head is in the shop again. Mark brought out the GK 800RB. Then there's my LB76, Fender JBS, and Guild Pilot.

My Carvin is my main axe. The JBS, with flats, is for the vintage material. The Guild, with its wider string spacing, has become my "slap-n-pop" bass. I do just a little on "Uptown Funk". ;)

This is Art's arsenal. Mark was teasing Art about the Strat. "You don't play country on a Strat, boy."

This is the mess that's in front of Art. I'm afraid I'd trip and fall.

This is Daniel's rig with his Tele, fiddle, and mando. He's started using not one, but two PODs.

I just wanted to see the view from the drum throne.

The Ranch provides a meal for the band. The menu is all top notch, gourmet, good eatin'. We feasted on steakburgers, buffalo chicken sandwiches, beer battered shrimp, fish tacos, chopped salads, deviled eggs, and other manor of delightful delicacies.

This weekend my dear friend, Reets, came out to hear the band. She is one of our #1 fans, a lovely, gentle, and generous lady. Everyone in the place adores her.

Just for grins and giggles, this is my Zoom Q2HD video camera. It does a great job for less than a hundred bucks. I'll grab a song or two from the weekend and share them later.

Here's my usual "amp selfie" before we get started on Friday night.

Mario is warming up his drum seat. From that look on his face you would think he broke something.

Jeff is looking kind of scruffy these days. I think the chicks dig the rugged look.

Doesn't Art look great in that shirt? Actually, it's my shirt. Art forgot his clothes on Friday night so he borrowed mine. We always bring three or four shirts to the gig because we like to give Kelly choices in order to coordinate with her outfits.

Here's our lovely Kelly on Friday night. Andrew, the owner, always compliments her on how she "owns the stage".

Oh, not this dufus again.

I'll bet I was singing "Wagon Wheel". Boy, do I love that song!

I see Daniel wearing his Tele. We must've been doing one of our more rockin' numbers.

Art plays his Taylor acoustic on a few songs.

We've got the dance floor full on a Friday night. Just what the owner likes to see.

I just noticed my reflection on the drum shield. "Is that what the back of my hair looks like?"

Daniel is rockin' his Tele.






I said, "Hey Mario! I don't have any pictures of you from this side!"

This selfie was taken just before we got started Saturday night. I started with my brown shirt.

Kelly got a new top for Saturday night so we tried to color coordinate.

Jeff is going to have a good night, I can tell.

Kelly and Mario are having a good night already.

I sweated right through my brown shirt so I had to change to my cream colored shirt. It was OK. It still matched Kelly's new top.

Our special guest arrives and sings a couple of numbers with us in the second set. This is a lousy cell phone picture, but that is Kellye Huff, from my friends in The Buckaroo Strangers band.







Here's a better picture of Kellye (with and extra 'e') I took during a long intro.

Of course the owner, Andrew, wants to get in on the action.




































Here's Andrew singing with the band on a Saturday night. He's getting really OK.
Art and Daniel accompany.




This is the youngster of the band. I've got amps and basses older than Mario. 

Here's Kelly showing off her new top.






Kelly can really belt it out.

Jeff is out front with his keytar! With his rugged, scruffy looks and a keytar, the chicks don't stand a chance.

This is Kellye Huff singing with our Kelly.

I was concerned that with two "Kellies" on stage it would cause a rift in the space-time continuum. But with Mark at the controls of the "bridge" all we experienced was epic fun. No anomalies.

Here we are at the end of Saturday night. I'm trying to say goodbye and Mario is wondering why all these people are still here even after the lights come up. These kids just can't get enough. :)


And that was a sample of the fun I had this weekend. I'll post up some video later after I get it edited. Thanks for looking. I hope all your gigs go great! Break a leg!


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

No comments:

Post a Comment