Thursday, November 5, 2020

Irvine Global Village Festival 9/25/20

 Howdy Buckaroos!

The True Willie  Band (Willie Nelson tribute) hasn't played an engagement in seven months. It was great to be back with this band again playing music I really enjoy. 

It was a full-on, almost-big-time, parking lot gig. The Irvine Global Village Festival has been going on for years. In fact, they are planning a huge celebration for their 20th anniversary next year. But for this year the big music events were covid-protocol, physically distanced, outdoors, with a big stage, decent sound system, plus low power FM broadcasting. I didn't ask if there was a recording. Dang!

If was a typical commute into the OC down the 57 freeway. It's been quite a while so I didn't mind the little bit of traffic at all. Unfortunately my family came a little later and got stuck behind an accident. They were late and missed the first couple of songs. It's the drama we call "That's The Way The Traffic Snarls".


After allowing for extra traffic, which did not materialize, I was the first to arrive. After parking next to the ramp leading up to the large stage I started my setup dance solo.


That's Roland on stage wringing out the monitor mixes with Rick at the booth. Roland actually ran FOH for us. The whole sound crew was top notch.


Since Mrs. BassCliff had never been to the Irvine Global Village Festival I told her to look for the big orange balloon flying behind the stage. Of course, before the show it was taken down. But she didn't have any trouble finding the place.


I completed my solo setup dance just as Johnny Magic Fingers arrived. I gave him a hand schlepping his gear. He brought his full compliment of keyboards, amps, mixer, module, etc.


Here's a plug for the sound company. I played this festival last year with the KRB and remember these guys. I believe this company been around here for quite a while.


Drummer Dave arrives. He's still nursing a bad knee so we helped with his gear too.

Farther out on either side of the stage were these two lonely speakers on sticks. It was not a huge sound system today because the show was also broadcast using low power FM so people could listen in their car.


Yep, the big orange balloon is being put away for the evening. I'd really like to take a ride on that. They were giving rides last year.


Here is the new Willie-mobile. It's a really nice unit with all the comforts of home.


And here is the green room for the band. I'm not complaining. No. Not one bit.


The rest of the band gets into their setup dance. I just sort of hang around and take pictures.


Arnie is filling in for Guitar Mike today. Since Arnie was here we featured a few of his Merle tribute songs in the show.


Here's Johnny Magic Fingers behind his castle of keyboards. He's got all the sounds.


Here's your old country bass player selfie-ing away while Roland wires up Dave's kit.


In the band's "green room" tent we were treated to some snacks and a cooler full of bottled water. Our hosts also brought out a fruit tray and a vegetable tray. It was good hospitality.


Drummer Dave is ready for his soundcheck. The soundman complimented Dave on the finish of his kit. It is a great looking kit.


True Willie (Roger) and Merle (Arnie) get their monitors mixed and their guitars tuned good.


That building on the far side of the parking lot from me is an ice rink. It looks like the cars are already starting to line up at the "doors". Doors are at 4:30. The show stars at 5:30.


The cars were allowed to park only in the spaces with cones, every other space. The audience could sit right next to their cars but if they walked anywhere they had to put on a mask. It's the cautious and polite thing to do when you can't distance.


Doors are open and the cars start lining up. I was surprised to hear that we had just about sold out the show, only about 10 tickets went unsold. Yay band!


There was a BBQ food truck and an ice cream truck on the premises. Lucille's is very good BBQ but I didn't have any tonight, sorry Bill.


Here is our intrepid sound crew, Rick (boss), Chris (stage crew), and Roland (FOH). I got lots of compliments on the sound so these guys really did their job well.


Lots of folks brought picnics with them to enjoy during the evening. It was a little warm but not unpleasant at all.


When I first heard of this gig I was expecting an actual drive-in theater to play in. Bbut this was just one of the big parking lots where the festival is held every year. They made it work.


We've got on our cowboy clothes and it looks like the gang's ready to storm the stage.


Here's True Willie and his new True Willie-mobile. <COUGH!-private dressing room-COUGH!>


This picture if purely for tax purposes. TW's tax guy was in the audience and said if he can prove he uses his new ride on the gig it can be a write-off.


Your old country bass player is tuned up and ready to keep it low. There's a nice bunch of cars in the crowd.


The Boys are ready to put on the show. Everything about this gig was great except for looking into the sun. It was off to our left a little, not right in our faces, but still a bit brutal.


TW regales the audience with a little story. Then he invites them all to his trailer after the show. They'll have to file through in a single line.


"If you had not have fallen, I would not have found you...."


I just noticed, John brought only three keyboards. Usually he brings four. How about that?


TW smiles at his favorite bass player on this stage.


Drummer Dave lays it down. This guy sings as good as he plays.


It's near the end of the show and the sun is starting to set. Friends and family start to gather nearer the stage.


At one point a group of five young lads were yelling "Gotta Get Drunk"!! I was quite pleased that these young lads were so into Willie. TW obliged.


We heard lots of applause but there was quite a bit of honking and flashing lights too. Pretty cool.


The young Willie fans are there on the K-rail on the left. They were having a ball.


It was a pretty good show. Roger said we haven't played it for seven months. We knocked the rust off pretty good. Then it was time to load up and head home.


I apologize for not having a beer review at the end of this report. One of our fans brought up Tecate for us. I enjoyed one of those while loading out. After I got home I enjoyed my usual Stone FML. When I try something new I'll be sure to let you know. Thanks for coming along with me for my first drive-in gig.  It's a good thing. They might be here for a while. Take care and God bless.


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

No comments:

Post a Comment