Friday, October 5, 2018

Cowboy Country Route 91 Benefit, 10/1/18

Hello good people!

Well, it turns out that we were not off all week. Me and the ANB got a last minute invitation to join a tribute/memorial/fund raiser/jam session at a well-known honky tonk in Long Beach, Cowboy Country. We hadn't played this room for a couple of years for various reasons but it was nice to come back and help out the cause. In lieu of a cover charge the club was taking $5 (or any amount) donations to benefit the victims of the Route 91 Concert shooting last year in Las Vegas. There were about thirty people in attendance who had been at that concert. I gladly donated my time and $5 for the cause and had fun hanging out with some musician friends I hadn't seen in a while.


 It was a fairly pleasant sunset commute down to Long Beach although the 605 at that time of day can be a schlog.


My camera washed out the club's sign, but it's a real honky tonk looking sign.


The honky tonk itself looks like a honky tonk, a red barn, if you will.


I arrived about an hour before downbeat and the place was already crowded. It got more crowded as the evening progressed. I went upstairs so I could keep an eye on the stage and the front door, keeping a lookout for the rest of my bandmates.


This is the secondary dance floor next to the stairs. Those are real honky tonk decorations.


I'm standing at the rail overlooking the second dance floor. Behind me are the pool tables and an interesting display with the Lone Ranger, Tonto, and Clink Eastwood as the High Plains Drifter. They also serve food upstairs but I did not partake this evening.


I saw my friends in the Killin' Time band setting up on stage so I went down to say "Hi" to Luke (bass) and Steve (steel).


The club owner got up on stage to get the festivities started. The place was jumping.


Brad Johnson and Killin' Time play mostly traditional country (Waylon, Johnny, etc) along with some originals. I don't know Brad that well but I've known Chris (steel), Luke (bass), and Justin (guitar) for a while. They have a good sound that fits well in honky tonks.


This is Denise, Chris' significant other, and Ali, a fiddle player. I was hoping to jam with Ali but I had to leave before her group got on stage.


While I chatted with Denise and Ali, one of the Kelly Boys got on stage, James, with his drummer. Arnie and Randy were sitting in.


Then it was the ANB's turn to play a few. John couldn't make it tonight because he has previous plans with Mrs. Fingers.


Randy was enjoying himself. He's looking a little fuzzy. I didn't think he had been there long enough to drink that many beers.


Jason was laying down the beat on a strange kit. My thanks to the Killin' Time band for letting everyone use their backline.


During the next ensemble's performance the club unveiled a special banner to honor and remember the victims and survivors.



The event was newsworthy. The local ABC affiliate was out with a truck, reporter, and camera guy. I'll have to check their website to see if we made the 11 o'clock news.


Brad Johnson's drummer, Rick, had the special drum head made for the occasion.


A fuzzy picture of ANB, sans Johnny Fingers and my Scully shirt. I was slumming a bit.


A nice crowd shot showing all the folks who came out to raise money and support the victims, survivors, and families of the Route 91 tragedy. It was a real feel-good night.  


It was pretty awesome, the feeling in the room was electric. I was glad to be a small part of it. We all sang the National Anthem before the music started. You would've thought you were at the World Series or something the way everyone cheered at the end. It was a terrific event and I thank everyone who made it possible, the owner, Ken, Brad Johnson and his band, all the other musicians who came out to perform and support, and the staff at Cowboy Country who all worked hard making sure everyone had a good time.


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

No comments:

Post a Comment