Thursday, November 2, 2017

Sun Lakes, 10/22/17

Hi guys!

The True Willie Band played the clubhouse at a really nice 55+ housing development at Sun Lakes Country Club. It was an easy drive on a nice Sunday morning heading out toward the desert, about halfway to Palm Springs.


This is the clubhouse, a very nice facility.


Across the street from the clubhouse is part of the golf course.


I pulled around to the side of the clubhouse to load into the main ballroom.


The PA was still getting set up and the room was till being readied by the staff.


Here we are doing our setup dance. The steps are different every time but the result is always the same.


Our friend Chris was our soundman today. This is mostly Roger's PA system. Chris brought his mixer and 150' snake and ran FOH for us. Chris was on my very first gig with the True Willie Band last November.


Here's the view from Chris' PreSonus. Chris is a one-man sound crew, doing the work of three people.


John is set up and ready to sound check. John is a one man band. He's got four keyboards and ain't afraid to use them.


Drummer Dave is feeling mighty strong today. I guess Mike is mighty thirty.


The bass player is getting warmed up before he sound checks.


I brought my big rig because I thought we were playing outside. I could've gotten by with my 210 cab. This 410 seemed to couple with the hollow stage. I kept dialing back the low end because of the boomy-ness on stage.


We are all set up and sound checked. The room just had a new lighting system installed and nobody knew how to run it. So Jason, the coordinator and light guy, just dialed up a nice static scene and made everyone look almost like a real band.


The staff has all the chairs set up. The show was sold out, 515 seats. It was going to be a good crowd.


We had two dressing rooms, not too big but both had private restrooms.


We were served some tasty ham and turkey sandwiches for lunch.


Then it was almost time to put on the show. Here's a shot of the band in the dressing room. I always eat before I put on my shirt. That way I don't spill.


One more picture of the band with True Willie just before we walk on stage. 


I stuck my phone out from behind the curtain again. It's a good looking crowd. 


I took this amp-selfie while we were playing True Willie's play-on intro music. I had just set the timer on the camera, pushed the button, and then the drummer counted us off.  


The lights were such that we couldn't see the crowd but we knew they were there because they were having so much fun with us. I gave my phone to Mrs. Drummer to take a few out front.


Let's zoom and crop one. 


There were a couple of projector screens in the middle of the room. 


We had fun. The audience had fun. 


I snapped this one right after we finished True Willie's walk-off music. Everyone was headed to the lobby to buy a CD and take a picture at our meet-and-greet. 


There were a lot of real Willie fans in the audience today. Everyone enjoyed the show, even the band. Then we had to take the bitter roadie pill. 


Then it was less than an hour drive home for me. I was home by supper time. It's a fun way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Tuesday (10/24/17) we are flying to the Bay Area to play for a memorial service for Y.A. Tittle on Wednesday. Willie Nelson was his favorite singer so we are performing at Mr. Tittle's 'celebration of life' ceremony after the funeral. I've heard there may be a lot of NFL heavyweights at the service. They are expecting 2000 people. Personally, I'd like to meet Drew Brees. We'll see.

Thanks for looking!


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff 

No comments:

Post a Comment