Thursday, November 5, 2020

Giracci Winery 9/18/20

Hello friends,

Oops, it looks like I got a little out of order when trying to catch up on my gig posts. Sorry about that. But I'll continue just so that I get them all posted.

It was another outdoor pandemic gig that was too much fun. With all the new material and the acoustic feel of the band, it was a blast. It started off a bit warm as I left for the gig. It was a little cooler than this at the gig but it was very warm at my house. I had loaded up two basses and my amp for this gig. Yes, a little bit old school without IEMs.


The winery is out on Santiago Canyon road, about as close as you can get to a country road here in the OC.


I'm pulling onto the property now. We'll play another outdoor event at the "big house" next month. Today we are setting up in front of the barn to play to the crowd outdoors. We've played several events in the barn.


We are well into the setup dance as the taco truck pulls onto the property. Oh boy! Tacos!


We, and I mean Johnny Magic Fingers, are running our own sound today with just two mains on sticks, one sub, and five monitor mixes. Here's a shot of the seating under the big tree. Today's event is called "Wine Down Fridays". Pretty clever, hunh?


I brought my small rig, GK MB500, Carvin RL210, Fender Kingman, and Kiesel PB5. My acoustic bass guitar sounded so good and I was having such fun that I never played the PB5. Arnie did not bring a Tele either. I'll show you in a minute.


Paul was a busy guy tonight playing fiddle and steel. He brought the banjo but ended up not playing it.


Yes, I heard there would be tacos.


This was not really a "merch" table but more of an advertising table. Arnie set out business cards, tip jar, and even flyers with a QR code to use to tip the band through the interwebs. It worked!


If you're wondering why there's an extra monitor out front, Amanda was supposed to show up and sit in tonight but her daughter had a little thing (nothing serious) so Amanda had to pass. Here were Arnie's WMDs, a Taylor, a Martin, and a Godin.


We did some of our new Chet tunes and other acoustic-y instrumentals. The crowd loved the Merle and Johnny stuff too. Please don't think any less of me because I was drinking a Coors Light. The best thing about this beer was that it was free.



Dave does an excellent job in this combo. He doesn't feel like he has to play lead drums.



The crowd is starting to fill in as we start. It turned out to be a very pleasant evening.



As Arnie likes to say, "Back here on vocals, drums, and cymbals, we have Mr. Dave Terry!"



Dave says, "And don't forget cowbell!" After it got dark Arnie broke out the LEDs and John found a fan hanging out on his keyboard. That mantis stayed there for a couple of sets. I guess he liked what he heard.



Just before the last set it was taco time. Yay band!



After the audience enjoyed their supper and had a few glasses they were ready to party. No one danced in front of the band but they would bust a move right next to their tables.





We played three seemingly quick sets and then it was time to do the roadie thing. Everyone had a great time, even the band, until it was time to strike the stage.



Several people told me how much they appreciated us and how much they realize they miss live music. I hope and pray we are all better people after we get through this. I know this time has made me more grateful and thankful for a lot of things I have taken for granted in the past. One thing I am grateful for is good beer. After drinking that other stuff I had to stop on the way home to pick up one of my Lagunitas favs.




And that was my little winery gig on a Friday night. Next week the hairy legged boys and I will be backing True Willie at a drive-in concert at The Barclay in Irvine. That will be a first for me. Arnie will be filling in for Guitar Mike so we will include a few Merle tribute songs too, like our show in Branbury TX last January. It should be a real hoot.

Thanks for stopping by and checkout out my little gig. And thanks for sharing yours! We're gonna make it gang! Keep the faith! Be cautious, be courteous, be kind, be not fearful.


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff










No comments:

Post a Comment